Sunday, December 11, 2011

Homemade Baby Food



I have been feeding Miles solids for a few months now and he is really enjoying them. While pregnant, I got the Top 100 Baby Purees cookbook from Tim's high school friends and I really like it. It organizes different recipes for different age ranges. Most of the recipes are fairly basic (they are baby food after all) but some can be legitimate dishes, with several ingredients. It's a great book to look through while pregnant and during the early months, to get a good idea of what foods are good for what ages..


I cooked a chicken dish from the cookbook for the first time a couple of days ago. It was called "Chicken with Sweet Potato and Apple" and Miles really enjoyed it. The recipe makes a decent batch, so I froze them in these Ball plastic containers I found at the grocery store. I am a fan of these plastic containers. They are a good size, freezer-safe, and when I'm done with making/freezing baby food, I can use them for other things. I have tried freezing the pureed foods in ice cube trays and that has worked out all right, but I like these containers a lot better since they have their own lids. For the ice cube trays, I would use those Glad Press & Seals to cover them while they sit in the freezer. I definitely love being able to make food for Miles and to see him enjoy it is probably one of the most rewarding feeling I have ever felt in my life.


"Chicken with sweet potato and apple" Recipe from Top 100 Baby Purees


1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
4 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
1 large sweet potato (12 oz), peeled & chopped
1/2 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped -- I used the whole apple since I didn't feel like saving it for later nor eating it at that moment...
1 cup Chicken Stock


Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the onion, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken and saute for a couple of minutes until it turns opaque. Add the sweet potato and apple and pour in the stock. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Puree to the desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment